Sage smudge sticks are used for ceremonial purposes and often used to purify an area and reportedly drive of negative energies and evil spirits. They are often found for sale in metaphysical stores, new age stores, and online.
Sage smudge sticks are very easy to make.
The items needed to make sage smudge sticks are:
- Stalks of sage dried on the stem
- Thin hemp cord (approximately string thickness)
This is how you make the smudge sticks:
- First, chop the sage so that you have stalks with leaves approximately five inches long.
- Using these five inch pieces, create bundles approximately one inch thick.
- Tightly tie the bundles with the hemp cord so that you have encircled the bundle at least once every inch.
- I like to “tie off” and cut the string every inch, or maybe a little less than an inch. This makes the smudge stick tighter and stronger.
That is all you have to do, you have now made smudge sticks!
Learn more about smudging! Read: SACRED SMOKE: Smudging (An Ancient Art for Modern Times)
- Gladstar, R. (2000). Planting the Future. Rochester, VT: Healing Arts Press.
- Jacobs, B. (1981). Growing & Using Herbs Successfully. Mountainview, MO: Garden Way Publishing.
Latest posts by Becki Baumgartner (see all)
- Endorphin Release Isochronic Sound Therapy - December 11, 2013
- Home Remedies: Medicines in Your Spice Rack - December 7, 2013
- Combining Reiki with Isochronic Tones Sound Therapy - December 7, 2013